Super cheesy, comforting, creamy Korean corn cheese is something I want to eat all day, every day!
If you’ve been to Korean BBQ or out for Korean food and drinks, I’m sure you’ve come across Korean corn cheese. That gloriously golden, cheesy, stringy, hot, and delicious mess of sweet corn and cheese served in a skillet or a little special dish around the grill. It’s sweet, salty, creamy, gooey, and SO delicious. And the best part is that it is the easiest side dish to put together.
What is corn cheese 콘치즈?
Corn cheese is the best KBBQ side dish, fight me! I love melty cheese and I love corn and the combination is just out of this world. Essentially it’s a combination of canned corn, butter, mayo, sugar, and cheese baked up until golden and warm. It’s a classic Korean anju or drinking food. You just scoop it out with a spoon and pop the deliciousness into your mouth. It’s like fondue but with bits of sweet corn in it: sweet, savory, and cheesy.
How to make corn cheese
- Gather your ingredients. Drain your corn, melt the butter, measure out the mayo and sugar.
- Stir everything together. In a bowl, mix everything together then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake. Top with some extra cheese and bake until bubbly and golden.
Corn cheese ingredients
- Corn – I like to use canned corn. It’s super sweet and it’s what they use in restaurants. You can also use fresh or frozen corn, more on that below.
- Butter – Butter and corn just go together.
- Mayo – The best mayo to use is Kewpie mayo, it has so much flavor and deliciousness.
- Sugar – A little bit of sugar highlights the sweet and savory combination of corn and cheese.
- Cheese – Melty mozzarella is the best cheese to use but you can use any melty cheese, it’ll just change the flavor. Mozzarella is good because it’s super mild and highlights the flavor of the corn.
How to eat
This is usually served as a side dish or appetizer or alongside alcohol. If you’re doing a whole Korean BBQ party, you can serve it along with all the other banchan. Or, serve it on its own with some ice cold beer or soju as the best drinking snack.
What kind of corn
Usually they use canned corn in Korea, but you can use fresh corn too. If you’re using fresh in season corn, simply cut it off the cob and sauté it for a bit longer in the butter. You can also use frozen corn as well.
What kind of cheese
Mozzarella is the meltiest, stretchiest cheese and is what is usually used but you can go for any melty cheese: colby, harvarti, swiss, fontina, monterey jack, provolone, American. Imagine corn cheese with melty cheese hot from the oven and then burrata torn on top?! The creaminess!
This is usually a pretty simple dish, but the beauty of it is that you can add in so many things! Try:
I hope you have some soon. It’s truly comforting and will make you feel cozy and good inside!
- 15 oz corn drained well, 1 can
- 1/4 cup mayo Kewpie preferred
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.9g18%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.